In a progressive's mind, the only way to correct the economy is to pass legislation that will ensure employment in an effort to stimulate consumer spending. I'm a conservative but I try to think along the same lines as a progressive.
A Bill to Guarantee Employment and Stimulate the Economy
1) no employee shall work over 40 hours per week
2) no employee shall work less than 16 hours per week
3) new automation shall not replace more than 2 employees
4) new automation shall require no less than 2 employees to operate
5) freight and transport drivers shall not exceed more than 300 miles of travel per 24 hours
6) freight and transport pilots shall not exceed 800 miles of flight per 24 hours
7) freight and transport ships captains shall not exceed 60 nautical miles per 24 hours
8) no employee shall be laid off while a company is still operating
9) if an employee is not needed at the work site, they shall be paid for a minimum of 16 hours
10) former employees of bankrupt businesses shall report to government job centers to be employed at government funded projects
Yes'sir. That's a sure fire way to stimulate the economy. Oh boy! An expensive chicken in every pot, electric car in every drive, and a non offensive color picket fence around every government rented house.
Life just can't get much better than that.